Sunday, April 6, 2014

Recommended Reading: Cassandra Clare

I just realized that I have been seriously neglecting my recommended reading posts. While I was sick I spoiled myself with lots of fluffy reading. By far the most enthralling of everything I read was the Infernal Devices series. Lots of friends recommended it on GoodReads and I was not disappointed. The last book in this series should have a little gold ribbon on the front that says, "Best Epilogue Ever".  I was shocked by it and it was such a happy little surprise twist. Also I loved the victorian setting and the plot was engaging.  On the negative side, I thought their was way too much canoodling (especially considering the time period!) and she took it too far for a young adult book. There is quite a bit of violence too, but not graphic.

Apparently, I forgot to blog about reading the first 3 books in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare too. I did not like that series as much as the Infernal Devices. I read the fourth book while ill this month and thought it was a bit sad. Poorly edited with obvious errors and issues. My favorite character is Magnus Bane, the warlock, who has a sense of style and ethics all his own. He is so unique and well fleshed out that I feel like he is a dear old friend.

Aside from those 4 books, I also read the second book in the Everneath series. It was well written and had some great angles to the plot. The best character is Cole. He alternates between protagonist and antagonist so smoothly throughout the story. I want to dislike him, but I find that I just can't. His character makes the plot come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment