Thursday, January 17, 2013

Reuse Recipe: Apples, Pears, Peaches, Plums

After bread, the second most half eaten food item in my kitchen is fruit; especially apples, but also pears, raisins, and peaches when they are in season. Unlike bread, these half eaten fruits can't be stored in bag (due to bruising in the fridge). I store them in a plastic rubbermaid box, the size of a child's shoebox. I have about 7 days or less to accumulate and use these remnants.  No problem though, there are a lot of tasty ways to use up half eaten fruits:


  1. Pie or cobbler- I mentioned the book Rustic Fruit Desserts in my post on bread. They also have some lovely pie and cobbler type recipes that I frequently use.  
  2. Oatmeal- Stir in fruit remnants while the oatmeal is cooking
  3. Fruit Compote - While there are many variations of this, I first discovered this while living in Russia. This recipe gives you an idea of how it is made,but I use fresh fruit. I usually just improvise until it tastes good to me. Think hot apple cider made with many types of fruits.
  4. Fruit Sauce- cut-up fruits and simmer slowly until mushy then blend with an immersion or standard blender. You can add sugar to taste, but ut us not required. Do not add water or it will be too soupy.

No comments:

Post a Comment