Sunday, April 28, 2013

Reuse Recipe: Oatmeal

A note on reuse recipes: I have realized after writing these for 4 months now that I want them to be real -- not ideas that I researched just to blog about.  I try to write about something that I actually used this week. Meanwhile, I am also continuing to use the old faithful reuse recipes that I shared way back in January and February. Like just this evening I made another batch of leftover fruit juice pops from the can of peaches that we had with dinner. It has become part of my routine and I am happy with that.

Oatmeal is another staple in our family. I confess - I don't really like it! Kids and hubby do though, so that's fine. When a bowl full is left in the pot and I don't want to finish it off (per usual).  I put it in the fridge for later use.  My go-to oatmeal reuse method is to make pancakes the next day.  They are so yummy. Much more yummy than oatmeal in my humble opinion. I like to improvise my pancakes so that they are not too dry -- the method goes something like this:

  1. Put leftover oatmeal/cold cereal in the pancake bowl
  2. Add 2-3 eggs -stir
  3. Melt 2-4 Tablespoons butter in the pan you are going to use for frying. Meanwhile add 1-2 Cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 2 Tablespoons sugar, and a pinch or 2 of salt to the pancake bowl.  Stir.  
  4. Add the now melted butter from your pan to the pancake bowl. Now the pan is all greased and ready for you.
  5. Assess the mixture's consistency and add milk until it reaches your preferred pancake consistency. I like mine kinda runny. Half way between American pancakes and crepes.

Giant Oatmeal Pancake
7. Pour into the pan to make a "giant" pancake


8. Your kids will gobble it right up!



1 comment:

  1. Tonight we used our sour dough starter to make blini, using your method here. Didn't have eggs, so used ground flax seed and water per usual...ended up tasting like sourdough flat bread. Added shredded carrots and homemade hummus. Miss you all so...

    ReplyDelete