Sunday, August 11, 2013

Reuse Recipe: Vegetable Water (from blanching) Makes DIY All Natural Vitamin Water

DIY Vitamin water or juice
I have been harvesting massive amounts of kale and collards this summer. With all the other yummy fresh veggies available, most of the "boring" greens are being put aside for winter - blanched and frozen. This process results in some nice looking green water. I have used it as the beginning of a vegetable broth, but I got a little creative this week and made something else with it - ICE!  Stay with me here. (Unsalted) Vegetable water ice cubes + a glass of water = natural DIY vitamin water that costs nothing. Say you love lemonade, juice, or soda? Lemonade + veggie water ice cubes = a much healthier lemonade. OR say your kiddos always want to put ice in their chili, soup,  or tea (like mine do) - pretty green ice cubes are a fun and sneaky way to make everyone in your family get more vitamins!

I had plenty of veggie water left after I filled my 2 ice trays. The vitamins in this water are great for houseplants too. Dump it in the watering can rather than down the sink.


No comments:

Post a Comment