Sunday, January 19, 2014

Reuse Recipe: Leftover Stuffing

We celebrated Thanksgiving with just the 5 of us this year and we had a lot of leftovers. We did not have any trouble gobbling them up with one notable exception -- the stuffing. I think the problem was that I made too much - some from scratch with stale bread for me and some of the StoveTop brand for Daddy. I put about 2-3 cups of it in the freezer thinking that an idea for how to use it would eventually come to me. This week I realized that it would probably be a good substitute for bread crumbs in my venison meatloaf.  Oh my, I am so glad that I tried it! it was delicious. Baby S and I were "testing" it before everyone sat down to dinner and I could not get him to stop eating it.
Venison Meatloaf Recipe for Leftover Stuffing

Here is the approximate recipe:
Mix 3/4 pound ground venison (or beef) with 2-3 cups leftover stuffing, 2 eggs, a generous sprinkling of dried minced onion, a pinch of salt, a sprinkle of sage (not too much additional spice is needed because that comes with the stuffing), and moistened with milk. I probably used about 1/2 cup of milk, but just eyeballed it until it looked about as moist as usual.
Cook in a loaf pan at 350F for about an hour.

It turned out nice and moist even though the venison is very lean.  Also there was a tiny bit of sweetness from the few raisins that had been in the original stuffing.

No comments:

Post a Comment