Sunday, February 2, 2014

Reuse Recipe: Butter Wrappers

My friend taught me to reuse butter wrappers in middle school. It was perhaps the first "reuse recipe" I ever learned. I remember preparing to throw the wrapper in the trash and her reproving me for almost wasting it. "We need that to grease the cake pan!" she said. Ahh. Of course, it's just that no one had ever mentioned that possibility to me before.  Since then I've tried to reuse the wrappers from butter when I make cakes - it works great and that way no cooking spray is required.


Just for kicks, I googled butter wrappers to see how many other smarties do this. Oooh I am not as special as I thought. Here is a cool post from the Kitchn that suggests 2 more ideas - saving them in a ziploc for future need and using them to separate homemade hamburger patties. And here is another post from Tip Garden suggesting that butter wrappers be used for wrapping and cooking potatoes in the microwave, lightly buttering toast (though I don't think there is enough on there usually to do this justice), and CORN on the cob! that is a truly brilliant idea that I must try this summer.


No comments:

Post a Comment