Thursday, February 28, 2013

Reuse Recipe: Lard or Bacon grease

Continuing on with last weeks oily theme -- Lard.  The "evil food" ingredient of the 90s.  And I would never suggest that anyone eat it regularly, but on the other hand you do love bacon, right?  Especially, the nitrate-free kind - like they sell at Trader Joe's.

And the end result of cooking the bacon that you paid at least 3$ a pound for is about... 2/3 cup of lard.  Not sure how much that weighs, but probably about a dollar worth of liquid.  It can be kept in the fridge for at least a week with no ill effects.  See my little ramekin of it below. What should we do with that lard?
 Tortillas are a favorite around here. I like this recipe since it makes 15-20 medium size tortillas, but there are many other good tortilla recipes out there.  I used part lard and part shortening in this batch, since I did not have enough lard for a big batch.
Other options?  Lard is the poor man's bacon - fry eggs in a bit for a bacon-y flavor, or cook spinach in it for the same reason.  I also hear that it is good for making biscuits and pie crust, although I have not tried either of those yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment