Sunday, May 5, 2013

Reuse Recipes: Stale Bread 2

Bread, especially the crusts and ends, is one of those things that I am constantly experimenting with creative ways to reuse. See my first bread reuse post here. This week I had 2 successes that I think are worth sharing. The first is a new spin on the crouton idea from my first post.  I try to avoid store-made crackers as much as possible - too expensive and not especially good for you, although they are very tasty. I was wondering whether I could make my stale bread into a tasty cracker-type treat that my kids would like. I may try a salty variation at some future point, but this week we were going for cinnamon graham cracker style. They were a HUGE hit. Like gone in less than 24 hours. The kids ate them for breakfast (in the car on the way to the Transportation Day fair that I forgot to bring my camera to) and then they wanted more for snack.
Stale bread becomes cinnamon croutons
Here are the general directions for Cinnamon and Sugar Croutons:

  1. Cut up stale bread ends into crouton size squares. 
  2. Melt 1/2 cup of butter per full cookie sheet worth of cubes and drizzle it over the top of the cubes. I did this right on the cookie sheet and then mixed it around on there, but I think it could be done equally well if not better in a mixing bowl.
  3. Mix 1/2 c. sugar with a couple tablespoons of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg - and sprinkle that all over the "croutons", stirring them around to coat evenly all sides. 
  4. Bake at 350 on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes or until crispy and golden colored. 
These would also be delicious on/with ice cream... My first batch did not last long enough to test that out though.

Next, I made a recipe that I had tried once before, probably a year or so ago -- Egg Strata.  As I was looking for the recipe that I had used, I realized that there are many different types of strata - Breakfast Strata, chicken strata, Asparagus Mushroom Strata, EasyStrata, Blueberry Strata, and the list goes on! They all can be made using stale bread.  I made bacon asparagus strata and I can't stop eating it - so yummy. I used real swiss Gruyere cheese on it (from Trader Joes), which I think makes all the difference. My Frenchies have spoiled my cheese taste buds forever!
Use stale bread deliciously to make Strata

No comments:

Post a Comment