Sunday, July 14, 2013

Reuse Recipe: Eggshells

I started my first batch of fall seedlings this week. I am hoping that starting them indoors (cooler for germination) will allow them to be ready to transplant outside by September when it starts (theoretically) to cool off.  Roster so far: Bright Lights Swiss Chard, Buttercrunch Lettuce, Redsails Lettuce, Basil, and Cilantro. Since most of these are usually direct seeded, I am trying the eggshell method.

  • Break top of shell & pull off a few small pieces
  • Use the egg white and yoke for whatever you are cooking
  • Rinse the shell thoroughly and return to carton
  • When all the shells are empty, use a teaspoon to fill the eggshells with seed starter or potting soil - based on my experience, expect some spillage (illustrated below). I think I might try filling each egg over the bag of potting soil for the next batch...
  • Water and close the lid (make a little germination greenhouse).  Label and date the outside so that you know when germination is likely to occur and when to open the lid 


1 comment:

  1. I tried egg shells last year and they dried out so terribly....this makes much more sense!

    ReplyDelete