Sunday, November 3, 2019

The Chateau de Chenonceau

First stop at Chenonceau - the gardens and grounds. More borders of espaliered apple trees. Some huge zucchini, no signs of squash bugs here. 
 A pretty little rosemary hedge.
 Lots of frames, fences, and trellises made from natural materials.
 Herbs in pots in the ground.  This is a perfect idea for things like mint that tend to spread.
 I thought I had a lot zinnias! They look wonderful in a large patch like this.
 Close-up of the espaliered apple trees. I had only read about them up to this point and couldn't get enough of looking at how they spread so low to the ground.
 Wattle fencing.

 These squash baskets look rather native American to me.
 Cloches! These are not as practical as low tunnels, but they are much prettier.
 I think this is a cold frame that is no longer in use.
 Lots of pretty ideas for trellises.
 I took this picture because I couldn't figure out what kind of tree this was. I looked it up when I got home. It is a Medlar Tree.
 Gorgeous pears. They seemed to be letting them go to waste. It started raining at this point in our garden tour so we headed into the castle grounds.
 A truly amazing collection, and probably an incredibly valuable set of old time apothecary porcelain. I would hate to be an apprentice here. Imagine accidentally dropping one of those jars.


 Chenonceau from the side.
 Even the gutters are pretty.
 I saw this in the kitchen and thought it might be a bread loaf slicer.
 The more famous side view of Chenonceau, arching gracefully over the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment