Sunday, November 3, 2019

Arrival in France

Our flights were all on time and we arrived in Paris around the same time as Grandmama and Grandpa J.  Our first stop was the Paris temple, about 45 minutes from the airport. 
 My host parents, JJ and A are working there as missionaries. It was lovely to see them. A perfect welcome to France.
 We had a fun time talking about farming, seeing JJ's book in progress, and hearing about how things work as temple missionaries in Paris.
 They had tons of food for us, snacks and juice, 3 pizzas, farr breton, soup, and a delicious cake.
  They also gave me some presents to help me fit in in France again. They are always so generous.
 We were sad to leave them. The visit was way too short, but we anticipated a 3.5 hour drive to our airbnb lodgings for the night. We reluctantly left around 8pm. We ran into major traffic around 10:30pm on the autoroute. At one point there was a turn ahead and we could see the traffic backed up for miles ahead of us.  We decided to take a detour and got lost on little tiny roads for a few minutes as we disregarded the gps. We used a good old fashioned map, found an alternate route and finally arrived at the airbnb house after midnight. It was an epic drive for 4 people who had been traveling for 24 hours. Luckily all my travels have made me a good "plane sleeper" and I was fairly alert for the drive.  I was holding my breath as I opened the house key box in the dark. I didn't want to have to call the owner after midnight. The code worked perfectly and the lock was easy.
 The house we chose to stay in while visiting the Chateaux of the Loire Valley reminded me of a renaissance building. I am not sure its exact age -- old!  It had three flights of stairs with a bedroom and bathroom at the top of each landing.
 This was big sister A and my room.
 A. watched cartoons in French each day when we came back from our castle visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment