Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sew Special: What can you make with a pound of cotton yarn?

I may have already mentioned here somewhere about how much fun I had shopping the local craft stores on black friday.  One of the things I bought that day was a 1 pound skein of grey cotton yarn -- for about $5.50 if I remember right. Pretty good price for 2 baby gifts!

Here is what I made with it:
2 baby sweaters and 2 washcloths
Puerperium Cardigan
The newborn size of this pattern is free. That is what I used, though I bought and also highly recommend the pattern with all the sizes. The gauge is very tight and since I have made this a number of times I know they always come out bigger than size with my gauge.  I used the directions for worsted weight newborn size, but this is more like a 6 month size dress or 12 month old tunic.

The cardigan below comes from More Last Minute Knitted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson, a proper baby version this time instead of a large mommy size one.
Baby Cardigan from More Last Minute Knitted Gifts
I originally made it with only three button holes, but decided the neck was too wide and I thought it would be nice to add another button.  I referred to the amazingly talented Elizabeth Zimmerman's classic book Knitting Without Tears. She has directions for an "afterthought buttonhole".  It was just what I needed. 

I also made the buttons. I love fabric covered buttons. They look so cozy and they make it much easier to match and have just the right buttons for a project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment