Sunday, March 2, 2014

Recommended Reading: Three Books

Lots of knitting this week meant listening to lots of audiobooks.

My favorite character in the book is Uncle Eddy. He is an old fashioned thief, practices constantly, makes his own bread and cabbage soup, and has a large wooden table in his kitchen. I can relate to him. When the author described the warm smell of cabbage soup cooking in his cozy kitchen I was immediately transported to the many warm steamy kitchens that welcomed me in Russia.
I also loved the ethics/history lesson that the plot leads us through -- all the treasures stolen by the Nazis. It would be a fun book for teenagers to read as they are about to begin a unit on World War II. It is recommended on Amazon for ages 12 and up. I think that is reasonable.

Everneath is another world-within-our-world that nobody knows about kind of story. Happily, it is based on mythology and contains none of the increasingly common vampire/werewolf stuff. The writing is engaging, but I kept wishing for more details... more explanations? I guess maybe she is saving some mystery for the second and third books. Recommended for ages 14 and up, since the story has a lot of emotional teenage angst.

I love the artwork on the cover of this book. Maybe that is why I keep picking it our of the childrens' audiobook section? It is short (176 pages), but funny in a sarcastic tongue in cheek way. We listened to it twice in the car. Big sister A's favorite part is when the children camouflage themselves throughout the house as various pieces of furniture. Recommended for ages 7 and over.



No comments:

Post a Comment