Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sew Special: Actually, holiday painting instead

I recently became obsessed with peg people. It all started when I saw these in the Magic Cabin Toy catalog. It seemed simple enough that I could make them myself. I found this lovely book about Making Peg Dolls

Then I saw these Waldorf Story Eggs. And that was enough to convince me to finally place an order from Bayer Wood. They have tons of fun wooden goodies to choose from and very inexpensive. For the past week our table has looked something like this:


Wooden Snowman Family - aka future Christmas Decorations

Painting wooden story eggs


 Here are my Thanksgiving Project results:

A few hints on making Peg People (based on my experience so far):
- Draw everything in pencil first
- Use a fine tip permanent pen for the eyes and to outline details in black
- If you are not planning to put a coat of beeswax or other protection on it - use acrylic paint. We had an incident with the pilgrim lady when one of the children picked her up with damp hands (she smeared) - I had been using some strong (aquarelle) water color paints on them. I will probably use more diluted water colors and some beeswax coatings to make the rainbow people
- Use non toxic paints. Babies LOVE playing and chewing on these! At least mine do.

No comments:

Post a Comment