Sunday, December 22, 2013

Garden Progress: The Best Deal on Food


Over the last 5 years I have had almost zero success growing anything in the squash family - gourds  being the exception. The reason is very simply - squash bugs. I've asked some farmers about it and they all admitted to using pesticides. Organic websites suggest companion planting - nasturtiums and the like, but that did not work for me either.     This year I finally figured out how to load up on pumpkins, hubbard squash, butternut squash and the most beautiful - jarrahdale squash.  They sell them at the farmer's market around Halloween for about 50 cents a pound, which is not bad. But between Halloween and Thanksgiving they go on sale for 25 cents a pound!
I bought about 20 dollars of squash --  that's 80 POUNDS of squash for only 20$. That is such a boost for my winter food storage and my vegetarian leanings.

Also, try to make sure that you buy dessert pumpkins for your halloween decorations - that way you can eat them up after the festivities are over - Another Re-Use idea!
Halloween Pumpkin -- soon to be pie and roasted pumpkin seeds



Of course then the question becomes - What can I make with all this squash?




A few Lessons Learned for Preserving and Using Winter Squash:
1. It is sooo hard to peel fresh squash. I found that if I cut it up and baked it at 350F for just a few minutes (maybe 10-15) it was much easier to peel/cut the skin off, but still remained firm enough to pan fry (per recipes below).  One exception - that large green hubbard squash in the far left of the photo above was impossible to chop up before it was cooked. I tried everything and finally just lowered the oven rack and cooked it WHOLE until I could get a knife through the outer skin. It was delicious btw, dense and smooth. 
2. Some recipes call for pureed squash others for pan frying - so I chose to preserve equal amounts of pureed soft squash and cubed firm squash in my ziploc freezer bags. 
3. Whole squash will keep at room temperature for a long time. I had some of them on the counter for a month or more before I used them and they were still good - no signs of mold. In other words, you can buy in bulk when they are on sale and safely process them over time.

We have tested a bunch of recipes:
1. Butternut Squash Parmesan Dip - I enjoyed this the first night and then was tired of it when no one else really liked it and I had to finish most of it myself over the next couple days
2. Butternut Squash Pasta - I was in a hurry when I made this and the squash should have been softer, but it was pretty good and the kids ate a bunch. I will make it again, but try a different fresh herb instead - probably a blend of rosemary and thyme.
3. Lentil Salad - This does not actually call for squash, but my friend served it with squash and it was yummy. I copied her and enjoyed it again at home, especially the spicy zip. I need to cut back on the spices next time though, particularly the cayenne pepper, so that it is more palatable for the kiddos. 
4. Squash Curry - It is no secret that I am a HUGE curry fan, all varieties. It may be my all time favorite meal.  I have only tried one squash curry variation so far and their are lots more online. They all look delicious to me. I loved the variation that we tried. 
5. Butternut Squash Hash - This has been the family favorite so far. I cannot share the exact recipe because it came from one of my friend's books I think, but the one I linked with is similar. It was simple and delicious. I love the egg for added protein and nutrition instead of meat.
6. Their are tons more squash recipes that I want to try - Winter Squash Fries, Squash Lasagna, and squash chili. 
Pumpkin cranberry bread

The family favorites for using squash are (of course) the sweet variations. 
1. Pumpkin Cranberry Bread - I have made this with both frozen pumpkin and frozen squash - both were delicious and gobbled right up. I made 4 loaves for the Christmas party at church and not a morsel remained. A very good way to use squash.
2. Pumpkin Pie - Big sister A claims that this is her favorite kind of pie. It works well with winter squash or pumpkin
3. We are planning to try this pumpkin gingerbread some time soon too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment