Sunday, December 1, 2013

Garden Progress: Harvesting the Lemongrass

Unfortunately, I waited too long to dig up and bring in my lemongrass plants. The temperature dropped pretty early this year and apparently they cannot stand freezing temperatures!  Now I'll have to start over again with them next year. In the meantime, I figured that I might as well harvest and store what I have. If you missed my rant on how wonderful lemongrass is and the mild thai curry recipe that my kids love - follow the link and try it!
I think 2 lemongrass plants was about right for our family of 5. We had plenty all summer and I filled about 1/3 of this large ziploc with shoots harvested from one plant. That and the other plant still to be harvested, should last us for the winter.
While outside, I dug the plant out, clipped off the grassy ends, split off the shoots as close to the rootball as possible, and pulled off the outer covering. Then all I had to do indoors was wash it and trim it close to the tender base. Some people recommended pureeing it before storing, but I am going to try to just freeze it in longish stalks. That way it will be easier to remove the stalk before serving the curry and I can better control the level of spiciness.


No comments:

Post a Comment