Friday, December 13, 2013

Recommended Reading: The House of the Scorpion

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer


My reading of this book just typifies what a scaredy cat I am. I almost stopped reading 50 pages in.  It includes cloning, killing babies, slavery, and mind altering implants... And yet it is a "children's book". I am glad that I kept reading and finished it. I would not recommend this for anyone under age 13 unless you are prepared to contextualize it in terms of slavery or drug cartels or ethics in science. It merits discussion and is wonderfully thought provoking. I can see why it won so many awards - the writing is fabulous.

Here is the summary from GoodReads:
Matteo Alacran was not born; he was harvested with the DNA from El Patron, lord of a country called Opium. Can a boy who was bred to guarantee another’s survival find his own purpose in life? And can he ever be free?

No comments:

Post a Comment