Thursday, January 31, 2013

Reuse Recipe: Tomato Sauce

Let me preface this recipe by saying - this is not a true re-use recipe, not like making use of the stale bread and sour milk, but it is a real money-saver! I was complaining once to my friend, Alissa, how I would never grow enough tomatoes in our (small backyard) garden to make a years worth of salsa and spagetti sauce for our family. She proposed this brilliant solution of buying large #10 cans of tomato sauce, crushed, and diced tomatoes. These are a great way to save money in general - like Money Saving Mom describes here.   They are about $2.75 per can at my local Costco - with 2 cans and some other ingredients I make approximately 12 jars of "healthy" spagetti sauce.  The same amount of spagetti sauce would normally cost about 20$, even on sale.
I cook by feeling/tasting more than numbers, but here is the general outline of my sauce recipe:


  1. In a frying pan/non-stick sauce pan - cook 2 large chopped onions, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and a bunch of chopped garlic (3-4 tablespoons). Add the spices you like/have on hand - a small scoop of basil, a big scoop of parsley, rosemary, oregano, and salt to taste. 
  2. I like to add broth or a small amount of meat to give the sauce some body. In this batch, I used 3/4 lb of hamburger meat that I happened to have leftover from something else. But I have used turkey broth, chicken broth, or bouillon cubes.
  3. Dump everything from the frying pan into a very large stock pot along with 2 #10 size cans of crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, or tomato sauce.  
  4. Look around the freezer/fridge/garden for greens that need to be used.  I love growing kale in my garden, so easy and so productive. If it is summertime I might run out and harvest some fresh, but  I also blanche and freeze whatever kale or other greens (beet tops, spinach, collards), we don't eat fast enough.  In this particular batch I added half a gallon ziploc of kale, some frozen leeks that were looking a little freezer burned, and a small sandwich bag of parsley that I had frozen.  This is also a good way to use up that bag of spinach that is about to turn soggy.
  5. Go do something else for awhile and let it simmer until you have a minute. Taste. Add a bit more salt, maybe a handful of sugar if it tastes too acidic, and let it simmer on. 
  6. Just before dinner, break out your immersion blender and blend it all up. Use some for spagetti that night,  and let the sauce cool some with the lid on your stockpot. 
  7. Pour into mason jars or recycle any (well cleaned) glass jars for the purpose. Allow about an inch of headroom.  Cool jars in the fridge over night - then put them in the freezer.  I lay them on their sides and then stand them up once they are frozen.  If you prefer plastic containers, those work fine too. We use about 1 jar of sauce/week - so 12 jars lasts 12 weeks. If you have a pressure canner, you can also can and store these at room temperature. 


No comments:

Post a Comment