Sunday, January 29, 2017

My Dash: Week 5

One of my brother P and my favorite early childhood memories is the huge bug.  It was in the Landau house and Aunt J and Uncle S were visiting.  While the parents were upstairs having a grand time we went down to the basement to check on something.  I remember that those stairs were in the garage. When we got down to the basement we saw a humungous beetle type bug.  We ran upstairs to tell the parents and guests. None of them believed us about how big it was.  Then they finally came down and were yelling about how huge it was. They said "Kill it!" or something similar. And then they searched around for something big enough to squish it with. Finally, Dad hit it with a hammer. I remember some discussion about how it must have been shipped in with some food from Africa or somewhere. Thinking back, we should have put it in a jar as a specimen and called our local county extension agency. I remember it being about the size of my palm with a greenish shell. Maybe something like this?


No comments:

Post a Comment