Sunday, January 29, 2017

Duck for Dinner

We raised 5 drakes and 5 ducks in our flock this summer.  I should have butchered most of the drakes before Thanksgiving, but I put it off. I expected them to start fighting like roosters, but they never did. Then the turkeys were such a big job that I needed a break. Then there were deer to butcher.  This weekend I finally planned for some friends to come over and help me humanely dispatch my four extra drakes.  They cost a lot in feed and do not do much. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.  Helpful friends made it much easier.
I am keeping one drake in hopes that we will have some ducklings this summer.  My friend is giving us a pair of Muscovy ducks that I hope will be a good breeding pair as well.  They are a meat breed and we could raise their ducklings for eating.  The Khakis are really an egg layer type duck so their was not a lot of meat on each one.  We had one for dinner with orange sauce this evening though. It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment