Sunday, August 18, 2013

Garden Progress: Thai Basil and Lemon Grass

Photo from here
Lemon Grass Plant



Thai Basil

Today I was in the mood for thai curry. So I went out to my garden, picked a few stalks of lemon grass, and some stems of thai basil and whipped up the following vegetarian goodness.  I am so excited to have these (sometimes) hard to find delicacies right outside my back door! And they are so easy to grow. Both of these came as tiny starts from my local farmers market. I hear that they are pretty easy to overwinter and restart next spring too.

Thai Basil Curry (vegetarian)

Ingredients:
3 T. Coconut or olive oil
1 t. minced garlic
several squirts of vietnamese fish sauce
1 small onion diced
5 small golden potatoes diced
1 red pepper diced
4-5 carrots sliced
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
3 - 6 inch stalks lemongrass pounded with rolling pin
3 T. roughly chopped Thai Basil
1 T. Brown sugar

Use oil to fry onions and garlic. After a couple minutes, add fish sauce, potatoes, lemon grass (whole lower stalk) and carrots. Slice the pepper and add that and then the coconut milk and brown sugar. Pluck the thai basil off the stem and coarsely chop it, then add that to the skillet. Simmer until the veggies are tender, remove lemongrass stalks and serve over rice. This was very mild and my kids had no trouble eating it. You can add asian hot sauce to spice it up for the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment