Sunday, August 25, 2013

Garden Progress: Fall Eggshell Starts

Everything out back is winding down now. I made another ground cherry pie and a large batch of fresh salsa. I picked a few ears of the popcorn and they are gorgeous! Now we just have to wait for them to dry on the stalk. (That is what the internet says anyway... Is that how you did it AJEH&Z?)

The tomatoes are late this year, but we are finally getting some ripe ones on the few plants that I protected from the deer. My children have caught on to my frustration with the deer's arrival and now tell people, "Mommy does not like deer.  She wants to shoot them with a gun." Oh dear me, I should probably NOT have stomped my feet and talked about a gun when those sweet potato vines were eaten to the ground...
Big Striped German Tomatoes are so beautiful
 The fall starts have been on my window sill since mid July (right side carton) and are ready to go out and replace some of the summer plants.
Plants started in Eggshells

cilantro, basil, and swiss chard

2 comments:

  1. We did let them dry first, BUT I tore my fingers to shreds harvesting the kernels off the cob. There has to be a tool or technique...but you know me--get 'er done once I've started something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just re-read and realized you said stalk. I actually harvested the ears when they were ripe and let them dry inside our house in a dry area.

    ReplyDelete