Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sew Special: Tracing a Pattern


 
Kelly Skirt by Megan Nielson
 I have had this little lovely awaiting my attention for more than a month now.   This pattern is so popular that it is almost always sold out.  It is also MUCH more expensive (18$) than I would normally spend on a pattern. However,  I have been itching to try one of Megan's famous patterns and a friend was considering using it for her bridesmaids, so I decided to go ahead and buy it.

Here are some of the variations that I intend to try.
From here

From here

Since the pattern was so expensive, I decided to trace off the size and style that I think I want. It takes some extra time, but it keeps the pattern in perfect condition.  I hope to use this pattern for many future skirts.

There are many wonderful seamstresses who have discussed tracing patterns on their blogs.  I recommend this one from A Fashionable Stitch. A truly great sewing blog.

Materials needed for tracing a pattern (with links):

  1. Clear plastic ruler - 2x18"
  2. Medical Exam Paper
  3. Mechanical pencil
  4. Pattern weights


 I got the pattern pieces traced and cut and the fabric all cut out for my first try.  Now on to the sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment