Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sew Special: Slipcovers Tips and Tricks

Tip #1: Choose a washable fabric

That is the point of a slipcover, right? washability. Some of you may recognize this chair from 2 years ago when I first slipcovered it. I had a very disappointing experience with the Hancock Fabrics outdoors and more upholstery fabric. When I saw it in the store, I made a terrible assumption that "outdoor" fabric meant sturdy, washable, or durable. WRONG!  You can spray it with some special cleaner for 8$ a bottle, but it is NOT washable. It turned brownish and pilled terribly even though I only wiped it down. It looks awful now. Time for a change.

After some searching, and a little product testing, I am pretty excited about my new fabric choice.
This Ikea fabric is yarn dyed, 100% cotton, and machine washable in hot water.  It has been great to work with so far!
Slipcover half finished

Tip #2: Pin it inside out, baste, and try it on. Repeat.

Repeat until everything is as perfect as you can stand, then stitch normally. Pinning it inside out has saved me a lot of try-ons. And basting has saved me some seam ripping time.  I find that 3 try-ons are enough for an amateur like me to achieve a decent fit.

Slipcover - inside arm

Slipcover- seat

Slipcover - outer arm

 This chair has the added benefit of room for tucking along the inside back.  I like that as it helps the cover stay in place better and look smoother/tighter.  I allow extra width for tucking in.

extra fabric for tucking in



No comments:

Post a Comment