Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sew Special: Making Jeans Longer

Confession: Baby S is 3 months old.  My skinny jeans still do not fit! My in between jeans are too big though. These circumstances resulted in a trip to the thrift store and 2 pairs of very nice, but as usual a tiny bit too short, jeans for 5$. So I thought I'd show off my jean lengthening trick today--very easy.

Quick summary: (I don't have illustrations for all these steps as I was not planning to do this as a tutorial, but I could illustrate more if someone else out there needs help with this :)

Step 1: Undo hem. Unfold. Iron.
Step 2:  Use fabric marker to color faded edge
Step 3: Cut 6" wide strip of fabric, the same length as circumference of jean/pant leg at the bottom.
Step 4: Sew ends of strip together
Step 5: Fold loop in half,  wrong sides together, iron
Step 6: Sew to bottom of pant leg. Flip inside. Press.
Step 6: Top stitch 1/4" from bottom edge. Turn pants inside out. Stittch 1/4" from top edge.






1 comment:

  1. Clever!!! I like this technique to shorten or add interest to pants!!

    ReplyDelete