Thursday, February 28, 2013

Recommended Reading: 4 winners

As I mentioned on Monday, I spent most of last week in the hospital with baby S.  That created some more reading time than I usually have. Plus, I missed a week of reporting on my books - so I have 4 for today!

1. Alice in Wonderland - this is a quick read, very sweet and fluffy, like the day dream that it is about.

2. Treasure Island - For some reason I have always thought of this as a story for adolescent boys.  I can see why they would like it, but I really enjoyed it too. Better than Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan by far. It was not too scary for me, but it kept me on the edge of my seat, anxious to see what happened next.  Also, I finally get a lot of pop culture references to treasure maps, Long John Silver, "pieces of eight", etc.  The only thing that I did not like was they did not go into much detail about what happened to them after the adventure.

3. No Time to Lose - I have been reading this for a couple weeks. I can't recommend it for everyone. It is about the epidemiology and discovery of Ebola and HIV/AIDS from the perspective of someone who was there - Peter Piot.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I have been working on or HIV/AIDS related projects since my undergrad research in 2002. It was interesting to hear how everything unfolded prior to that time and also the events of the last 10 years from a much higher vantage point (UNAIDS directorate).




4. Aglow in the Dark - I am only about 2/3 of the way into this book. It is not at all what I expected  when I ordered it from the library.  On our honeymoon, we went to Vieques, off the coast of Puerto Rico.  It is one of the few places in the world where the concentration of dinoflagelates in the sea is bright enough that you feel like you are swimming in a glowing pool. It was awesome!  Ever since then I have wondered about bioluminescence and how it works.  This little book tells about scientists discovering how creatures glow as well as the modern medical/biological uses of this "cold" light.  Pretty cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment