Friday, February 8, 2013

Recommended Reading: The Secret Garden



The Secret Garden

I loved this book.  I saw the Hallmark movie when I was a kid and promptly went outside to start creating my own secret garden. My friend and I spent many hours outside working on it for a whole summer.  I wish I would have recognized back then how much I loved gardening for its own sake.
The Secret Garden is also such an uplifting story - so much instruction about being positive and the power of thinking positively. The characters are so distinct and loveable.


I also read A Christmas Carol this week.  I should mention here that both of these are part of a goal to read 25 "classics" this year.  I realized last week that it was already February and I need to read 2-3 per month to accomplish that goal... so I thought I would jumpstart myself with some "easy" ones.
I thought that A Christmas Carol would be more spooky, but I actually liked the book much better than any films I've ever seen of it.  It has a great overall message about avarice, but a lot of other minor themes that were profound, particularly, living in the moment, being positive in all circumstances, and prioritizing family over work.

No comments:

Post a Comment