Sunday, July 5, 2020

Sew Special: Independence Day Skirt, Slippers, A Quilt

Yesterday morning big sister A brought me some scraps from the fabric bin and said that she wanted to make them into a skirt for 4th of July (that day).  They were already cut in strips and half sewn together.  I told her that I would work on it if she occupied Baby A while I was doing it. [As I said it I totally had a flashback to myself as a 10 year old playing with my little sister S while my mom sewed something for me.]
I hemmed and gathered and sewed the last row on and held it up to her.  "This is not going to be long enough for you -- go find some more fabric to go with it."  About an hour later she still had not found a good match in the scrap bins and we were brainstorming other ideas for it.
Old jeans! we cut off the top of a pair of her old holey ones and voila perfect skirt... a little big for her actually. At least it will still fit next year too.
  Several weeks ago she found a pattern in a children's sewing book for elf slippers.  We enlarged the pattern and she cut everything out. I even had some non slip footy fabric for the bottoms. 
  She sewed most of it with the blanket stitch on my machine. One edge had to be done by hand .
 Before Baby A was born I finished all of his 12 month size reversible pants. These 3 are my favorites.
 And my mom sent this beautiful baby quilt for little A - with my favorite star design and using fabric she bought at the Droguerie in France!

No comments:

Post a Comment