Sunday, July 12, 2020

Farm Fresh: Harvesting Tomatoes, Mulching, and Weeding

Last weekend our dogs were on high alert trying to get something in the big log pile. 

 See that pair of eyes peeking out in the center of this photo? They were squeezing themselves down in between the logs trying to catch it.
 I am guessing it was another groundhog, but we may never know since they couldn't get at it to catch it.
The tomatoes are growing like crazy despite hornworm and aphid attacks.  We picked off more than 20 hornworms this week and reapplied diatomaceous earth on plants where there were a lot of aphids. 
 Harvested my first yellow pear tomato
And the kids picked our our first Cherokee Purple tomato and pickling cucumbers for me this week. 
Mama Sadie lost one of her 7 ducklings... We were letting her stay in the barn, but have been keeping her in one of the hoop houses since the duckling was lost.  And no, I don't think it was the rats -- there were no remains so it was probably our neighboring great horned owls.
 Hubby chipped a bunch more branches last Saturday and our friendly neighborhood tree guy brought another truck load too. 
All those chips have allowed me to get a bunch of much needed weeding and mulching done in the big garden.  This year's composting-in-place pile has gotten huge. Peas on the far left are done now and our two rows of sweet potatoes are looking good.  I added some horse manure on that side last weekend and will add some rabbit manure this week to finish it off.
  On the other side, the squash is still swamping the sweet corn in some areas, but I am pleased with it overall. I picked cabbage worms off the brussels sprouts every day for a week and I think the plants are recovering now.
Elecampane is blooming.
 Perry is sitting on another batch of eggs since her three ducklings are mostly grown now.
 The little guineas moved outside. The last remaining adult guinea likes to hang out near their coop.  I think he is lonely and will be so glad to have a new little flock for company.
 I love this view from my kitchen window. It makes me so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment