Sunday, April 12, 2020

Happy Easter! First try making Onnie's coconut eggs

 The Easter bunny was providentially prepared this year.  He hit Dollar Tree for goodies at the beginning of March so no need to scramble and pay exorbitant online prices for Easter things.  He also brought the usual main course of a book for each child.
 While the kids and I were discussing Easter plans this week I remembered the chocolate coconut eggs that Goomie and Aunt Jill used to make for us.  They were big and had our names on them with pretty frosting designs. I tried to Google them and did not have much luck finding pictures that looked similar to show the kids.  I emailed Aunt Jill for the recipe and we had a nice talk on FaceTime during which I learned that these eggs are part of our family history.  I did not know that the recipe came from my Great Grandma Onnie.
I made a first attempt Saturday night to have them ready for today's Easter dessert. Or at least part of it -- they are rich like fudge. I remember eating mine a slice at a time when I was a kid, over the course of a month.
My first try was a failure though. My coconut filling is too moist and because of quarantine I had to make my own chocolate instead of melting chocolate chips. It's still tasty and rich, but not nearly as thick as I remember the chocolate shell being. I was tempted to try again, but we have too many sweet treats as it is.  Maybe next year I will get it right.  Haha.  I will type up the recipe below.

Onnie's Coconut Easter Eggs

14 oz. thinly shaved coconut flakes
1 stick of butter
1 medium potato
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar

1. Peel, cut-up the potato, and boil until very soft. Drain most of the water, leaving enough to mash it to a pea soup consistency. (I think this is the step I messed up.  I must have left a little too much water in with them).
2. Add butter and vanilla in the pot with the potatoes while still hot.  Allow to cool and shape into eggs of various sizes.
3. Refrigerate overnight.
4. Melt chocolate chips and spoon it or paint it over the eggs.

A single batch of this recipe makes 8 large eggs (palm size)

No comments:

Post a Comment