Monday, April 27, 2020

Farm Fresh: Ode to Mulch

We had the soil for the high tunnel area tested a couple years ago so I know that it is acidic and needs a balanced fertilizer.  It is also mostly clay -- very similar to our original garden area when we started. I am working on adding enough manure and other forms of compost to create tilth and a more nutritious balance. I know it has worked over time for the main outdoor garden area since its soil tests came back with stellar results.  I watched this video interview about Joel Salatin's approach to soil improvement in his high tunnel and got very excited about doing something similar this winter to speed up the process.  It will be a little early for getting long term chickens (still should wait for the permanent aviary to be built), but I could definitely raise a big batch of meat chickens in the high tunnel for us and to sell. If we get the chicks in September and October and then get them out into the high tunnel as the number of hours of light for plants goes away from November - January, butcher in February and be ready to plant in March. I think they will turn the 14 or more yards of mulch that I just spread around the tomatoes and beans, the umpteen wheelbarrows of rabbit manure, and all the leaves from the yard into a nice compost for next year's planting. 
For this year's little tomato patch (only 20 plants) I employed my go-to method for breaking new ground and dug out a trench of the clay soil and filled it with most of the dirt from my big compost pile. I mixed in a little rabbit manure and lime to further sweeten the soil. Hopefully the tomatoes will be satisfied with their oasis amid all the clay soil.  Next I need to stake down the soaker hoses and get the cages set-up. 
 The little row of raspberries that I planted on one side of the garden is sprouting.
 I have been waiting anxiously for my asparagus to pop up. They finally started this week. I will give them another week to make sure that I have located them all and then I can weed/mulch around them.
 More lovely mulch! Remember that new bed that we put the logs along in the front yard? I am covering all the dead nettle and violets that were there with about 6 + inches of mulch in preparation for planting it next spring. I should mention that hubby and our wonderful tractor moved all this mulch into place -- so many loads. I just spread it around. I am so grateful for the tractor and the hard working hubby that saved my back by moving it all for me.
 The lilac I planted last spring is taking off this year.
 And the tree clearing is 95% complete. There are just 3-4 XL logs to move/cut up with the chainsaw.  Hubby even dug up all the forsythia stumps (visible in the foreground) with the tractor. Lots of progress.
 The Silver Appleyard "ducklings" are as big as the Khakis now.  We started letting them roam free this week. 
  The white one is the drake.
 And here is a progress picture of Shark's face -- her wounds are scabbed over and peeling.  It makes me itchy just looking at them. Her nose had some scabbing inside too that looks better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment