Sunday, September 22, 2019

Summer Reading List - the family read alouds

As my kiddos are getting to be more avid readers the summer reading list could get prodigiously long. I decided that it only makes sense to list the read alouds that we read together or mostly together this summer.  I tried to organize them a little for easy future reference.









And finally, one that I don't recommend for kids, but that was a real eye opener for me: The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek.   I have always been interested in Appalachia, the health care system, their old-time herbal remedies, the effect of coal mining on their ecology (for the cheap electrical energy we so blithely waste), and especially the fact that we perceive the USA as so wealthy and "developed" when there are corners like rural Appalachia that deserve development aid as much as some of the "third world" countries that I used to work in. This book is set in the 1930s and has a wealth of historical details. If you want to read about the coal mining and ecology, another book we read this summer, Brave Companions by David McCullough, had a great section on the work of Harry Caudill

No comments:

Post a Comment