Sunday, November 2, 2014

Sew Special: 22 Valances

I am continuing my efforts to sell homemade things in my Etsy shop (not just vintage finds).  I got another order for custom valances... 22 of them!  All different measurements, but all white sheer triangles. I had to make 2-3 samples to get the design right and approved by the purchaser.
Here is one of the samples:

The fabric she chose is a very tricky sheer polyester which stretched like crazy when cut on the bias. Even with the serger to try to stabilize the edges they were a bit wonky at first:


In the one above (the first picture) I used a narrow ribbon serged into the edges as a stabilizer. But it was kind of unreliable and very tough to work with.

The best solution was suggested on the Coletterie Blog.  
I ordered some spray stabilizer per her recommendations and that seems to be keeping the fabric stiff enough to be cut evenly and also  keeping the bias edges relatively stable. Here is the final version:


6 done; 7 more cut and partially complete; and 9 more to go after that!  It is easiest to do the ones that are the same measurements (use the same template). Then I can do a little assembly line. I have to spray, iron the sprayed fabric, lay out the template, cut, serge all the edges and then iron and hem, iron and hem again.  Quite a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment