Sunday, October 26, 2014

Sew Special: Sven the Reindeer Costume, Part 1 making the antler frame

I spent a lot of time thinking/procrastinating about this costume.  I didn't see any examples online that were similar to what I was picturing.  I had an old felted sweater that I wanted to reuse.  Mainly, I wanted the antlers to be big.  The engineering problem was how to make them big, but not floppy.  
I was literally praying for inspiration on this one because I knew that I could use cardboard and a coat hanger, but I did not know how to make it so that it would not flop forward.  My inspiration was to bend the wire coat hanger into a zig zag shape, like a "W" and then duck tape it to the cardboard headband. Simple, but very effective. 

Big sister A suggested that I poke the ends of the coat hanger right up through the hood. Also a simple, very helpful idea:

We did a lot of "product testing" as it progressed:

I decided that it need to be finished on the inside with a few pieces of cushion foam and covered with a layer of the felted sweater on the inside:

To be continued...  

No comments:

Post a Comment