Sunday, August 10, 2014

Sew Special: More Practice with the Serger and a sweater

Big brother M is in this phase of changing his clothes any time he gets a little speck of water or food on them.  That includes his underwear. So... he has been running out of unders quicker than I can/am willing to wash them.  Aunt H gave me some leftover knit fabrics and several knit patterns awhile ago and I showed the fabric choices to M.  These are the two that he chose -- trucks and puppies, that is so like him.  I made 10 pairs in little bits of time here and there over 3 days.  The Serger is very good at assembly line style sewing.  After the first test pair, I cut out 9 more pairs and zoomed on through. 

The nice, albeit time consuming, part of this underwear is that it is fully lined. I chose the lining fabric. It is a thinner knit with colorful pug dogs. I decided the lining was probably a good idea as it is a bit more absorbent and that way these will be useful when I start potty training little brother S.

This little cardigan was supposed to be a "Baby Sophisticate" for a little boy.  I held the yarn double for extra thickness. That was great on the stockinette stitch part, but made the garter stitch collar way to big. It was my first time making this pattern and a relatively quick knit.  I think it is now more of a cowl neck girl sweater and put in the baby clothes box for the new baby sister. 



No comments:

Post a Comment