Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sew Special: Finishing Up - Tutu, Mittens, Bibs, Quiet Book

For some reason pregnancy gives me "project anxiety"(more than usual).  I have to complete as many things as possible each day. This week I was working through my "half finished" sewing and mending pile.  I won't show the mending things (boring), but here are some things that I finally finished up:

1. Bibs -- used the cute goldfish one that my good friend gave me as a template to turn some unused burp cloths I had laying around into soft bibs. I thought baby S might like them better than the vinyl ones... Nope.

2. Doll Clothes - My neighbor gave me this little Dianna Effner doll to use as a model.  She wants me to try to sell some more doll clothes outfits for her shop. I made this one from bits of fabric that I had on hand.

3. Sweater Upcycled to Mittens-- One of the sweaters I made a few years ago somehow made it into the washer and was felted/shrunk. I finally remade it into some toasty mittens using the pattern from Little Things to Sew. I adapted the pattern by adding the pieces of knit ribbing to the wrists, so that they stay on/keep the snow out better.




4. New Dance Tutu -- Perfect timing for the start of another season of dance class. This pattern is also from the Little Things to Sew book, but again I did not follow the directions! I wanted to use up some nylon mesh fabrics leftover from making doll dresses and did not have the many yards of tulle laying around which the pattern called for.  So it is soft and drapey instead of full and poofy.  No complaints from my product tester.


5. Quiet Book #2 -- When I was pregnant with S I think I finished the quiet book that I started while I was pregnant with M and so here we go again! Another baby expected and another quiet book finished.  A group of ladies from church and I did this one together actually.  We each did 2 sides of pages, replicated it 5 times and shared with each other. That is the part that was finished when I was pregnant with S.  I have had these cute little pages sitting around waiting to be sewn to a backing and bound together.  I made the cover picture with printable fabric paper and powerpoint. 


 Noah's Ark
 Lehi's Dream of the Tree of Life
 Nephi Building the Boat (the pocket has tools in it and the boat pieces velcro on)
 Joseph Smith Hiding the Plates and Esther
 The Mormon Trail with Wagon Car (this is the one I did-- each state has a different fabric texture)
 I also made a pioneer pocket for the back of the book to keep the wagon and other stuff in.





No comments:

Post a Comment