Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Funny Story

I have been debating whether or not to include this story on the blog, but I think all of my few readers know me well enough to get a kick out of this.



It was last Sunday at church. We are in the third block this year (afternoon time). Baby S was a little sick and fell asleep in my arms. Little brother M was nodding (falling asleep) and so I scooted down the bench and he laid his head in my lap. About 20 minutes later the husband of the young couple behind us (innocent with no kids as yet) says to me in a whisper,

"There is something leaking from your pew."

I glanced over at my husband on the other side of the pew by little brother M's feet. I was HOPING it was not what I already knew it must be. One glance from hubby under sleeping brother M confirmed it though. Pee was pooling on the polyester cushion under M and dripping down through the crack at the back of the pew.

We tried so hard not to disturb the meeting. Unobtrusively, smuggling in paper towels under suit coats and soaking the mess up. But while hubby was out getting some spare clothes from the car, big sister A started dancing, "Mommy, I need to go potty!" she whispered. So I asked the young couple to keep an eye on the still sleeping brother M, while I quietly hefted the sleeping baby S in my arms and followed big sister A out of the chapel to the potty.

Minimal disturbance to the meeting so far right?

As we re entered the chapel a friend whispered to me, " I think your phone rang."  I glanced ahead and saw that hubby was sitting on the bench and my embarrassment dropped a couple notches because I figured he took care of it quickly... Nope, he shook his head, he had just returned to the bench. It rang all the way through without anyone turning it off. Great. So much for not disturbing the meeting. And as a bonus brother M got to wear his bright orange sweatpants for the rest of church. Cool.

1 comment: