Sunday, January 12, 2014

Recommended Reading: The Best Book on Chicken Keeping

We are planning to get our chicks (finally!) in March. I have been studying up on taking care of the chickens and housing the chickens etc. So far I like Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens the best.



There are a lot of fun anecdotal guides to raising chickens online, but Storey's Guide gets into the nitty gritty of caring for the birds and gives technical information about feed ratios and coop space. On the negative side, like most technical books, it makes it seem as though your chickens will die if you do not follow these very specific directions. I understand from talking to my fellow chicken keepers that chickens are more flexible than this guide makes them seem. I still highly recommend this book to anyone else interested in raising chickens as a guide to best practices.


1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous you're getting chicks! I want some so bad. You'll have to update on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete