Sunday, January 19, 2014

Consumer Review: Organic Aluminum Free Deodorant Part 1

In the last decade debate has raged over the use of parabens and aluminum in body care products and the association of these two with breast cancer and alzheimer's disease. This National Cancer Institute review of relevant research studies is "inconclusive", but their is enough uncertainty that my inclination to switch to more natural options led me to try aluminum free deodorants. Here are the three types that I have used so far. I tested each of these for at least a month, even when I did not like the results, so as not to be biased in making my conclusions. Caveats: I do not have sensitive skin and I have previously always used scented deodorants - Dove or Secret.

1. Tom's Deodorant -- This is the best of the 3 for me. I like the lavender scent. I know that some people find it irritating. It is worth noting that Tom's also sells an antiperspirant, but that one contains Aluminum. These 3 are all just deodorants. They do not keep your armpits dry. I like this one because it covers the body odor and also smells nice. It seems to last longer than the other 2 - meeting its promised "24 hours of odor protection".  It is reasonably priced and is not too hard to find. I got mine at Target for about 5$.

 2. Thai Crystal Deodorant Stone -- I  wanted to try the crystal deodorant because it is supposed to be long lasting and all the reviews on Amazon were great. I heard that the salt layer has to build up and that it is best to put it on right out of the shower so the moisture helps it stick better and not get gritty. I tried all these things, but I still felt like it was not covering the body odors enough. I did not expect it to keep my armpits dry and it didn't. I felt like I was not wearing any deodorant.  The crystal does last a long time, but I had to order it on Amazon for about $7.50  It seems like a good option for people with very sensitive skin, allergies, and sensitivities to odors.


3. Trader Joe's Unscented with Cotton -- this was my least favorite of the 3 options. I really wanted to like it, but it did not prevent wetness and did not seem to prevent body odor. It was easy to find at the local TJ's and not too expensive - about 6$. 


No comments:

Post a Comment