Monday, July 15, 2013

Recommended Reading: Blue Book Guide to Preserving

As I mentioned earlier this week, I love this Ball canning book. I have turned to it for wisdom every summer for the last 5 years and never been disappointed. I have trouble following recipes exactly, but I do try to be accurate when canning. I am too afraid of botulism and jars exploding! I try to note the years that I use each recipe and how I liked the results. Don't be fooled by the slimness of this volume either. Each page is packed with recipes.

This year I made blueberry syrup for the first time. Yum.  I immersion blendered the skins and seeds instead of removing them though, which I thought worked well since the syrup turned out thicker. But that almost doubled the volume so I doubled the lemon juice to make sure that it was acidic enough for canning. See, I guess I am getting braver about how closely I follow the recipes.

A. very proudly mashed all the blueberries for the syrup making



And M. very proudly learned to pit cherries this year

My kiddos pitted a whole quart of cherries

Baby S is looking forward to helping next year



No comments:

Post a Comment