Thursday, March 28, 2013

Recommended Reading: Tom Sawyer

I have already mentioned liking Mark Twain here.  I grew-up near Elmira, NY and my grandma took me to the "Mark Twain Musical Drama" at least 3 times. I loved it. I can still remember some of the quotes that made me laugh like, "I never let schooling get in the way of my education".
I also remember watching the Disney musical version of Tom Sawyer when I was a kid, which I enjoyed.
The book is similar to what I remember of the film and musical, but with a lot more of Mark Twain's witty narration. I am glad I read it. Although, I will admit that I still have a hard time understanding some of the dialogue.  Mark Twain lived in Hannibal, Missouri when he was a boy and I think the language must be very authentic for the time period.


No comments:

Post a Comment