Monday, February 6, 2017

My Dash: Week 6

Today being fast Sunday I was thinking about how nice it would be to have dinner all ready for me when I got home from church. That reminded me of how we used to go to my grandma G's house for dinner after church every Sunday.  I am not sure what ages I was while we did that. She moved to our town when I was about 2 years old.  I remember hopping out of the car and racing through the garage to G's back door into the kitchen. She, wearing her apron, gave us each a warm hug.  It always smelled delicious.   My first stop after hugging G was to look in the big bottom drawer in the kitchen next to the refrigerator.  She was a secretary for the custodial staff at the high school and invariably had interesting little trinkets and note pads for us, all of which always appeared in that special drawer. We had dinner at her kitchen table. Often a baby was in the sassy seat that connected to the table or in the jumperoo that hung down from the door frame. Sometimes we played Upwords after dinner and if we were very lucky and stayed long enough we could watch the "Wonderful World of Disney" movie that played every Sunday night at 7pm.  Another special treat was getting to spend the night at G's house.  Lucky for us, she had off work on all the same holidays that we did.  She always had special treats for us to eat for breakfast or a fun outing planned for us the next day. It was lovely having her only a few miles away for most of my childhood. I feel so blessed to have had her there for all of my important life events.

No comments:

Post a Comment