Sunday, February 12, 2017

Family Schooling Summary: Pottery and Playing School

My pottery teacher had to close shop for most of the last year, but has started offering classes again.  I have been working on a series of tiny clay windowsill pots.  They are shaped like houses from around the world. This is what they looked like when I left class last week.


Here is a bread cloche that I was working on while we were living at my brother P's house. 
It was kind of an engineering project.  I wanted to see whether I could make a kitchen counter cloche to store the bread in as it cooled.  I was hoping that the unglazed clay inside would absorb some of the moist steam and keep it a little crispy. It is not working exactly according to plan.  Too much moisture is still in the cloche.  I probably need to try another model with unglazed clay inside AND some holes in the top.  I also want to make it wider for the other kind of loaf. 
 Here is a bowl that I made. It was supposed to look like pleated fabric. I loved it. Then I glazed it and now I am ready to throw it away. I should have used clear glaze.

As part of my class, I purchased an extra bag of clay from my teacher so that my kids and I can play with it at home. It is great because unlike "airdry" clay, it never goes bad. When the kids leave it out or it starts to dry out we just put it in a ziplock baggie and add some water.  I told the kids that they need to keep practicing and when they make something really special I can bring it to class to get fired in the kiln.

 Last week a summit meeting of delegates from around the world was held under our dining room table.
 We held classes outside in the gazebo one day when the temperature got into the 60s.
Also A finished her diorama of Al-Andalus for history class (we are studying the middle ages this year):





No comments:

Post a Comment