Sunday, August 2, 2015

July Books


Lots of great reading aloud happened this month with the kiddos. Brother M liked The Magic Finger the best. And big sister A says that she can't decide. She liked them all. I liked The Boy the best, since it was based on Roald Dahl's own childhood and he had a lot of funny adventures. 



I read a few more of Sandra Dallas's books from the library. I enjoyed them all, but I have to admit that I am getting tired of this genre now. True Sisters is about the Martin Handcart company's journey west. Sandra Dallas is not LDS, but she gives a faithful account of the events. It was sort of jarring to hear the story told without the perspective of priesthood, revelation, and leaving out all the miracles that we believe helped them on their way. The Quilt Walk is told from the perspective of a young girl and would be a great read for any girl age 10 or more. Fallen Women is a mystery and though I am not quite finished with it, my interest is already lagging. Whiter Than Snow reads like a series of short stories of the separate lives of people who are brought together by tragic circumstances and is very interesting.

I also read the first two books of Janet Oke's Canadian West Series: When Calls the Heart and When Comes the Spring.  I always enjoy Janet Oke's books and I liked the first season of the Hallmark Channel version of the story. But then they changed the story and now it has shifted toward soap opera instead of following the original storyline in book two. I am disappointed by that. I recommend the books and the first season of the show.


One more great read.  This was in the "giveaway" pile outside the library at church. I I love to read about the prophet's wives. They are such incredible examples. 
Here is my favorite quote from the book:
A woman, to be well rounded in her personality, needs many experiences in and out of the home. She needs to be concerned with church, school, and community. If she buries herself inside four walls, she does not reach her potential. She needs to keep growing, to keep aware of the world in which her children are growing. In order to do this, she should be interested in educational advancement and worthwhile endeavors in her community. 

What a great lady! She led an awesome life, balancing home, church, and community. 

No comments:

Post a Comment