Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sew Special: Civil War Dress and Red Cissy Dress

My neighbor is donating this doll to a local historic Civil War era mansion.  She wanted a dress that was correct for the time period. I used a historic period dress pattern from McCalls:

The doll's measurements were similar to a child size 2, but I had to do some alterations to the bodice. There was a lot more piecing than any dress bodice that I have ever done. Each sleeve was two pieces. The bodice had 9 pieces. Also it has a different (piece by piece) type lining which was interesting. I have never made a civil war period dress before, so I am assuming that this is just typical for that period. It was a fun project and I am pleased with the results. 



Finally done with the red Cissy evening dress. I love this silk fabric. The client chose a 25$/yard silk brocade. It was gorgeous to work with. I will make another one to sell in my shop with the leftover fabric.


No comments:

Post a Comment