Sunday, May 24, 2015

Garden Progress: Strawberries

It's magical when the garden starts to make lots of food, like having a pantry in the backyard.  This week I felt the shift to summer cooking. Everyone was in the mood for salad. We ate salad with strawberries from the garden 3 nights this week. I made raspberry vinaigrette with the Vitamix for the topping.



I have been enjoying breakfast burritos lately. Fresh eggs from the chickens, plus fresh cilantro from the garden, and a little bit of cheese, on a tortilla.  Sometimes the gathering is also part of my morning exercise -- sprint to the garden and back with the sprigs of cilantro before the whole troop realizes that I am gone.  This morning we ran out of bananas for the corn flakes.  The kids quickly determined that strawberries would also be good to fill this gap. Away to the garden yet again to pick strawberries for breakfast before church. I think we have been averaging about a quart per day from our little patch.




No comments:

Post a Comment