Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sew Special: More Madame Alexander Pattern and Doll Dress Designs

I have been doing a lot of dressmaking these last two weeks -- all doll size.  It's fun to practice drawing up all these patterns and I have enjoyed it. I think it is a great way to build sewing skills without wasting much/any materials -- making tiny versions of evening and cocktail dresses.  And lucky me, people collect these dolls and dresses, so I am paid to practice my craft.

Here is another draft of the silk Madame Alexander dress that I have been working on for a 20 inch Cissy doll. The other version had princess seams and this one is a cocktail dress with pleats. It is fully lined with a gauzy pink crepe.



This is actually my first draft of the same dress - also fully lined, but just in a cotton print.

Another project this week was expanding this little civil war style dress.  A client had purchased it and it was too small for her doll.  Here are the before shots:


And here it is after I took it all apart (the longest part of the whole process!) and added new sleeves with cuffs, an extra inch to the bodice length, and inserted a piece in the back.



No comments:

Post a Comment