Sunday, February 15, 2015

Family Schooling Summary

This week big sister A did all her usual school stuff: 8 workbook pages/day, reading practice, dance class, art activities, and a trip to the library.  The kids also watched some nature videos about wooly mammoths and the ice age. 
Brother S found his favorite letter on the library's magnetic letter wall:


I took A for a special treat since she has been such a good helper.  I have always appreciated how my parents acknowledged and rewarded good behavior with "treats" and little notes of encouragement.  We want to try to make sure that we focus on rewarding good behaviors too (rather than punishments).  Big sister A got a professional manicure for her "treat".  Then we went to Sephora so that I could look at some make-up. A very girly outing. She was a little nervous about getting her nails done, but LOVES feeling grown-up.  That part is a little scary for mama. Six years old! oh my!


We also practiced some sewing crafts this week.  Watching me sew all the time has my kiddos wanting to try it all the time too.  When I ordered the cookbook last week, I also ordered this kids' sewing book.

 I thought mostly big sister A would be the one wanting to use it.  But brother M surprised me with his enthusiasm and skills.  The book includes pages with dots that you can poke out for use as sewing/embroidery cards.  We copied some onto card stock. I threaded the needles and let the kids get to it.
Big sister A's Tulip:
 Here is brother M's Rabbit:

Look at how well he did on his first try! (Had to flip it over to the back so that you can see the dark blue threads he was using).

We did another reading/cooking activity directed by big sister A too -- Chocolate Ice Cream Soda... Hubby and I both agreed that it was NOT a delicious old fashioned treat.  More like "a poor man's root beer float" he said. The kiddos thought it was great though.







No comments:

Post a Comment