Sunday, February 22, 2015

Recommended Reading: 2 Books by Elizabeth Wein

I generally try to avoid books about the holocaust. They make me too sad. I have read the Diary of Anne Frank and The Hiding Place, but that is about it. These 2 books by Elizabeth Wein are about WWII from the allies' perspective, not about the jews specifically. They are about female spies and pilots.  I had no idea that young women were piloting planes in WWII. 
I think that the stories both strike good balance between the ugliness of war and hope. They are historical fiction and while the events and setting are plausible, they are NOT about real people.  I ordered 2 other biographies about women spies in WWII and am looking forward to reading more true stories about women's roles in WWII. Also, I did not realize when I started reading these 2, but they are companion books about some of the same characters.  So be sure to read Code Name Verity first and then Rose Under Fire



No comments:

Post a Comment