Sunday, December 21, 2014

Recommended Reading: Ender's Game and Two Princesses

My husband read Ender's Game when he was a kid and recommended it.  Actually, he would not let me see the movie until I had read the book.  I enjoyed reading it and yet anticipated some of the plot before it happened. I think my favorite part was at the end of the last cd Orson Scott Card spoke about his thinking as he was writing the book and how it was published etc.  I love seeing into the mind of the author.  It helped me realize that some of the best stories need to percolate for several years before you are ready to finish them.  I have aspirations of writing a great children's novel set in Bretagne one day, but only have about 50 pages so far. 

I have been looking for this book, The Two Princesses of Bamarre, by Gail Carson Levine, for over a year now.  I like her stories (see previous recommendations on Ella Enchanted etc). For some reason I could not get this one through the library system and was waiting with it in my library "holds" queue.  Then I came across it at the thrift store last week and of course happily paid the .50 cents and brought it home.  It is another lovely story with girls who take action and have a happy ending, with a twist at the end. It was an easy read and I highly recommend it for about 3rd-4th grade and up.


No comments:

Post a Comment